Master 2017 - Dr George Anderson
George was born in Gilsland, Cumberland in 1945 but immediately moved to Newcastle upon Tyne.
He attended the local Heaton Grammar School before leaving the North East to study dental surgery in London.
In 1968 he qualified BDS(Lond.) from the Royal Dental Hospital of London in Leicester Square having also attended St. Bartholomew's Hospital Medical School in Charterhouse Square for his pre-clinical year.
The degree of LDSRCS(Eng.) was obtained from the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1969.
Joining a general dental practice near Croydon, soon after qualifying, George found that he liked the challenge of meeting and treating so many different patients that he eventually stayed at the same practice for over forty years.
With much expansion and modernisation during his time there he progressed to the position of senior partner.
He retired in 2013.George married Ann in 1969 and they live in Woldingham in Surrey, a few miles inside the M25.
They have four children, Jeremy, Martin, Jane and David who are all Liverymen of the Company.
They also have four grandchildren.
He is a keen sportsman especially of indoor racquet sports – badminton, squash and racketball – and was a cricketer but is now a watcher rather than an active player.
A past chairman of his village cricket club he is a member of the MCC.
Another interest is in wine; particularly Burgundy.
He is a past chairman of the wine committee of his club – The Athenaeum, and he goes on short trips to wine areas a couple of times a year as well as attending tastings in London.
George was persuaded to join the Loriners by his late father-in-law on the premise that "Loriners put metal into horses mouths and dentists put metal into peoples mouths".